After learning the reason behind Cassandra's betrayal, Rapunzel returns to Corona only to find it taken over by one of her most dangerous enemies.
Continuing from where "Destinies Collide" ended, Cassandra reveals what she saw while inside The House of Yesterday's Tomorrow. She had met a disembodied spirit who showed her a vision of her past. From this vision, Cassandra learned that she was the biological daughter of Mother Gothel, who abandoned her on the night she kidnapped Rapunzel. Convinced by the spirit that Rapunzel had been overshadowing her for the entirety of her life, and no longer wanting such a destiny, Cassandra has stolen the Moonstone and declared Rapunzel's destiny as her own. Even though she is confronted by Adira, who ordered her to give up the Moonstone, Cassandra easily repels the warrior away and steals her Shadow Blade. As the Black Rocks cover her, Cassandra escapes from the group, despite Rapunzel's pleas not to cross the line, and severs all ties with them, with Rapunzel devastated over the recent turn of events.
With Cassandra gone, Rapunzel tries to focus on a method of returning home to Corona, while Eugene suspects that she is in extreme denial over Cassandra's betrayal. Just then, the group spots a balloon flying their way, and it is revealed to be piloted by Ulf. With Shorty translating, Ulf informs them that Corona is in danger, and Rapunzel realizes they need to return immediately. With King Edmund and Adira deciding not to accompany them, Rapunzel and the others board the balloon and fly back to Corona.
Upon arriving in Corona, the gang discovers that the kingdom is nearly deserted, save for Feldspar, who is mumbling to himself about a new order from King Frederic to mine unusual crystals. Upon hearing this, Rapunzel and the group head for the castle and meet up with the King and Queen. But to her shock, King Frederic and Queen Arianna have no memory of who Rapunzel is. A moment later, Andrew arrives with the Separatists of Saporia, declaring that Corona will soon be under their control. He also reveals that he has forged an alliance with Varian, who reveals that the Separatists have used a Saporian Wand of Oblivium to erase the memories of the King and Queen. He next reveals his plan to harness the power of the wand and create a synthetic gas that will erase the memories of everyone in Corona, and he has dubbed it "Quirineon" in honor of his father. Deciding that this plan cannot be carried out, Rapunzel leads the charge against the Separatists, but thanks to Varian's chemicals, our heroes are easily outmatched. At Eugene's suggestion, they retreat with the Separatists in hot pursuit.
With our heroes having suffered defeat at the hands of Varian and the Separatists, they try to find a safe place to hide until they can formulate a plan. Just then, Xavier reveals himself along with other citizens that had not left the city. Xavier reveals that the King had ordered all the subjects to the mine to excavate crystals for Varian's minerals. They wanted to rebel against this order, but doing so would be an act of treason. However, Xavier states that now that Rapunzel has returned, they have a chance to save all of Corona. Unfortunately, Rapunzel does not feel confident enough that she can lead them to victory. Xavier promises to give her time to think about it.
While Rapunzel works on a new frying pan to replace the one destroyed in the previous battle, Eugene notices the look of anger on her face and tries one more time to talk to her, saying that she's not alone in this battle. Rapunzel agrees with him, just as Xavier asks her to come join the others in formulating a plan. She promises to be there, but then ventures out on her own, returning to the castle and being secretly followed by Pascal.
Meanwhile, Varian is working hard to perfect his Quirineon formula, but the ensuing result is a powerful explosive. The Separatists decide to use the formula in its current state, as Andrew feels it can be more useful as is.
Using stealth, Rapunzel and Pascal make their way through the castle and manage to avoid several of the Separatists until they reach Cassandra's room, where she is reminded that her best friend is no longer her best friend and finally breaks down over the recent betrayal. But then, she is captured by one of the Separatists and thrown in the dungeon.
As Rapunzel reasons with Varian, he reveals his true feelings and his belief that no one in Corona will forgive him for his past misdeeds, so he wants to make everyone forget about them completely. She tries to persuade him into not carrying out his plan and asks him to be her friend again, but he insists that once the memories of everyone in Corona are erased, they will be friends again. However, Andrew reveals that there has been a change in plans: They plan to use the Quirineon Varian created to destroy Corona instead. Upon discovering the double-cross, Varian tries to take back control of the situation, but throws the wrong chemical and soaks the Separatists in soap. He is subsequently thrown in the cell along with Rapunzel and Pascal.
With Rapunzel and Varian alone together, he tells that her he knows that his father would be ashamed of him. She tells him that she knows how it feels to be betrayed since she was betrayed by Cassandra, and Varian says he thought if he could make her forget everything that happened, they could become friends again and learn to trust again. Suddenly, Eugene and Lance Strongbow arrive, with the former having discovered that Rapunzel had gone off on her own. After being freed, she convinces her rescuers to allow Varian to join them in saving Corona, just as Andrew is sending the King and Queen away from the kingdom, locked in the royal coach, before the Separatists implement their plan.
Rapunzel sends Eugene and Lance to follow the coach while she and Varian concentrate on thwarting Andrew and the Separatists before they can use the Quirineon to destroy Corona. The twosome discover a giant airship, and deduce that the Separatists plan on dropping Quirineon on the city from the air, like bombs. Rapunzel and Varian stow away just as the airship takes off, and Andrew drops the first of the bombs from the deck. However, thanks to Rapunzel's hair, she is able to catch the barrel before it can fall out of reach and explode. Then Rapunzel and Varian get on deck, and she battles the Separatists while he disables the ship and jettisons their enemies. However, they are losing altitude quickly, and if they crash, the Quirineon will explode and destroy the city anyway. Varian has an idea on using the Quirineon to give the disabled airship more altitude so that it will explode out of reach of Corona. He volunteers to do the deed himself, as atonement for his misdeeds, but Rapunzel, knowing that the ensuing explosion will kill him, suddenly jettisons him off the airship and turns the propane on the Quirineon, causing the ship to rise.
Meanwhile, as Kai is driving the royal coach further away from Corona, Lance and Eugene are having trouble unlocking the doors, as Eugene has lost his lock pick in the commotion. Eugene realizes they need the original key to unlock the door, and distracts Kai onto the roof of the coach, while Lance tries to rein in the horse pulling, only to snap the reins loose. Eugene orders Kai to hand over the keys, but Kai refuses. On this, Lance ties Kai up in the severed reins and sends the freed horse running off and dragging Kai behind him, but forgets to grab the key. The runaway coach eventually is sent toward a cliff, but is saved from going over by Maximus and Fidella. However, Kai is not so lucky, as he is pushed off the cliff, and the King and Queen get out of the carriage, unaware of what happened.
Back at the airship, Rapunzel feels she has gotten it high enough to be out of harm's way, and uses the remaining propane to detonate the Quirineon, while using her hair to shield herself and Pascal from the blast. As she falls back to the ground, she uses her hair to swing off a ledge and land safely. Rapunzel and Eugene share a hug in the wake of their toughest victory yet, and she tells him there's still a broken promise she has to fix.
Inside Varian's home in Old Corona, Rapunzel tells him that she discovered something during her journey and prepares to make one last attempt to free Quirin from the amber where he is imprisoned. She has Varian prepared with a bucket of water and asks him to snap her out of it, in case her attempt does more harm than good. She begins to chant the Decay Incantation, which slowly melts away the amber, but cannot stop chanting it, and the water Varian splashes her with has no effect. Varian tries to shake Rapunzel awake, only to have his gloves dissolved on contact. Touched that Rapunzel never gave up on him, he declares his refusal to give up on her, and this stirs her awake, causing her to collapse onto her knees. The two hug before Varian cries and embraces his father, overjoyed to know that he is finally free and still alive. Just then, Varian notices the note his father wrote has dissolved along with the melted amber, and he asks his father what was written on it. Quirin simply states that the note said that he was proud of his son, and always has been.
With Corona safe for now, and King Frederic and Queen Arianna still without their memories, Rapunzel becomes acting Queen in their place, and the entire kingdom celebrates a new beginning for itself. In the end, Rapunzel decides to finally open up to Eugene about Cassandra.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from the The Disney Wiki. The list of authors can be seen in the page revision history (view authors). As with the Tangled: The Series Wiki, the text of The Disney Wiki is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.|
- Princess Rapunzel
- Eugene Fitzherbert
- Lance Strongbow
- King Frederic
- Queen Arianna
- Clementine (only appearance)
- Kai (only appearance)
- Mother Gothel (flashback)
- Enchanted Girl (debut; flashback)
- King Edmund
- Captain of the Royal Guards (flashback)
- Pete and Stan (flashback; cameos)
- Orange-Haired Sisters (cameos)
- Attila (cameo)
- Vladimir (cameo)
- Big Nose (cameo)
- Monty (cameo)
- Cassandra's Music Box (first appearance; flashback)
- Cassandra's Battle-Suit
- Eugene's Sword
- Princess Rapunzel's Crown
- Floating Lanterns
- Princess Rapunzel's Satchel
Strong Magical Objects
Kingdoms and Realms
- The Dark Castle
- Moonstone Chamber
- Corona Castle
- The Throne Room
- The House of Yesterday's Tomorrow (flashback)
- Gothel's Cottage (first appearance; flashback)
- Varian's Laboratory
- This is immediately follows the Season 2 finale, "Destinies Collide."
- Clips from previous episodes are played during the beginning of the episode: "Secret of the Sun Drop", " Beyond the Corona Walls", "Rapunzel and the Great Tree", Mirror, Mirror, "Rapunzeltopia", "Lost and Found" and "Destinies Collide".
- This is the second time that the closing theme "More of Me" is featured in an hour-long special, the first being "Beyond the Corona Walls".
- The way Rapunzel cleans up Varian's mess during the second half of this episode when the latter made the Quirineon is similar to the way Rapunzel and Pascal cleaned up Eugene and Cassandra's mess during the arguement of the latter two in Cassandra v. Eugene
- This is the second time Rapunzel and Varian fight each other before the latter redeems himself after finding out the true colors of Andrew, Clementine, Kai, Juniper and Maisie.
- Andrew made a reference to "Under Raps" when he dated Cassandra, also Andrew mentioned he took Cassandra, Rapunzel and Eugene for a ride with his hot air balloon in that same episode.
- The way Varian talks to Rapunzel when she is locked up inside a cell in this episode is similar to the way Constable Lumph talks to Rapunzel when she and her friends are locked up inside a cell in The Eye of Pincosta is similar to the way Stalyan talked to Eugene when he is locked up inside a cell in Beyond the Corona Walls and it is also similar to the way Rapunzel talked to Cassandra and Eugene when they are locked up inside a cell in Cassandra v. Eugene.
- The way Rapuzel gasps when she sees Varian after he trapped Eugene with goop in this episode is similar to the way Rapunzel gasped when she saw Varian after she and her dad were trapped with goop in Secret of the Sun Drop.
- The way Andrew grabs Varian by the vest to throw him off the ship during the second half of this episode is similar to the way Rapunzel grabs Vex by the shirt for refusing to talk during the first half of Beyond the Corona Walls is similar to the way Cassandra grabs Pete by the uniform in The Alchemist Returns and it is similar to the way Cassandra and Eugene grab Varian by the shirt in What the Hair?!
- The way Andrew pulls Varian to the side while grabbing him in this episode is similar to the way Eugene pulls Varian to the side while grabbing him outside to talk in What the Hair?!
- The way Varian does tricks with his alchemy balls during the second half of Rapunzel's Return while and Rapunzel are fighting against Andrew, Clementine, Juniper and Maisie on the ship is similar to the way Eugene showed Cassandra that he is a skilled warrior with her halberd in Cassandra v. Eugene.
- The way Adira tells Cassandra to release the Moon Stone in this episode is similar to the way King Frederic told Varian to release him and Rapunzel from the goop in Secret of the Sun Drop.
- The way Rapunzel is asking Eugene what are you saying when she is still feeling down about Cassandra's betrayal in this episode is similar to the way Rapunzel asked Varian what are you saying when she didn't know that the rocks are encasing his dad in Queen for a Day.
- The way Rapunzel went through the five stages of grief in this episode is similar to Varian when he goes through the five stages of grief throughout his character arc.
- He refuses to give up on freeing his father from the amber and desperately seeks Rapunzel's aid (denial), he vows revenge on Rapunzel and eventually descends into a fit of rage (anger), he performs amoral actions in hopes of saving his dad (bargaining), he breaks down in tears and comes to believe Quirin would be ashamed of him for what he did (depression), and he redeems himself, earning his father back by helping Rapunzel save Corona (acceptance
- What Cassandra saw and endured behind the mysterious door in the House of Yesterday's Tomorrow is revealed. That she is the biological daughter of Gothel.
- The way Varian walks inside of the fog in episode when Andrew tells Rapunzel and Eugene You might recognize my former cell mate is similar to the way Varian escaped the castle after the fog clears in The Alchemist Returns.
- The way Eugene runs towards Cassandra in this episode is similar to the way Eugene ran towards an automaton that appeared inside the castle in Secret of the Sun Drop.
- The way Rapunzel calls the Quirineon "Quirineo" when she didn't say it correctly but Varian tells her the proper name in this episode is similar to the way Rapunzel called an Automaton "Tick Tock" and "Metal Head" in The Alchemist Returns but Varian told her the correct name.
- The way Varian reveals himself to Rapunzel, Eugene, Pascal and Maximus in this episode is similar to the way Varian revealed himself to Rapunzel. Pascal and King Frederic in Secret of the Sun Drop.
- It is shown after one year Princess Rapunzel and her friends traveled outside of Corona is revealed.
- Quirin is finally released from the amber, as Princess Rapunzel casts a portion of the decaying spell.
- Varian made a reference to "Secret of the Sun Drop" as part of his misdeeds, the time when he took Queen Arianna and he attacked Rapunzel.
- Rapunzel made a reference to "Queen for a Day" in this episode when her kingdom needed her while her mom and dad are going to the mountain.
- The way Pascal looks at Varian and Rapunzel in this episode is similar to the way Pascal looked at Eugene and Rapunzel in Secret of the Sun Drop.
- This is third time Varian named his chemical after a person when he named Quirineon after his dad. The first two times that Varian named a chemical Flynnoelum after Eugene's alias Flynn Rider in What the Hair?! and Great Expotations when he named his element Cassandrium after Cassandra
- This is the second time Varian fights Rapunzel in this episode before he redeems himself. The first time Varian fights Rapunzel was Secret of the Sun Drop.
- The way Varian wants to sacrifice his life to prevent the Quirineon from destroying Corona in this episode is similar to way Eugene nearly sacrified his life by walking to the snowy mountain to find Rapunzel's parents and also Pascal nearly sacrificed his life at the Demanitus Chamber in Queen for a Day to stop the blizzard.
- Varian redeems himself and becomes friends with Rapunzel again.
- The way Pascal frees Rapunzel's hair after it is trapped with goop is similar to the way Varian freed Rapunzel from the goop in Secret of the Sun Drop and it is similar to the way Varian freed Rapunzel and Cassandra from the goop in What the Hair?!
- It is the fourth time Rapunzel unleashes the protective shield from her hair, following to "What the Hair?!", "The Quest for Varian" and "Lost and Found".
- The way Cassandra sliced off the bridge that she made from the black rocks to leave Rapunzel stranded at the Dark Kingdom in this episode is similar to the way Mother Gothel sliced off the bridge during the flashback of this episode and it is also similar to the way William sliced off the bridge in Vigor the Visionary.
- The way Varian says Welcome home, Rapunzel when he greets her after she enters the castle in this episode is similar to the way he said Welcome back, Rapunzel when he greeted her after she went to his home in Secret of the Sun Drop.
- It is revealed that the memories of King Frederic and Queen Arianna are erased after sometime Rapunzel left Corona to follow the black rocks to the Dark Kingdom alongside Eugene, Pascal, Maximus, Fidella, Cassandra, Owl, Lance, Hook Foot and Shorty.
- The way Varian asked Rapunzel are you okay after he says you didn't give up on me, I'm not giving up on you before they hug in this episode is similar to the way King Frederic asked Rapunzel are you okay after she fainted on the ground in Secret of the Sun Drop and it is also similar to the way Eugene asked Rapunzel are you okay when he saw her hanging in midair in The Quest for Varian.
- The way Rapunzel, Pascal, Eugene, Lance, Shorty, Ulf, and Maximus fell to the ground after Andrew throws the powerful chemical that Varian made in this episode is similar to the way Rapunzel, Eugene, Fidella and Maximus fell to the bottom of Snake Canyon in Vigor the Visionary after William sliced the bridge.
- This is the second time Rapunzel uses her hair to free Quirin and it works, but the first time when Varian tried to free Quirin with the help from Rapunzel and her hair, it didn't work in Secret of the Sun Drop because she didn't know about the decay incantation until the episode Rapunzel and the Great Tree
- It is revealed after one year Rapunzel and her friends traveled outside of Corona.
- When Rapunzel told Varian that the decay incantation could seriously harm him and his father in this episode foreshadows Plus Est En Vous when Zhan Tiri recited the decay incantation on Varian and everyone else that fought against Zhan Tiri herself.
- The way Varian trapped Eugene with goop and also Rapunzel's hair is trapped with goop in this episode is similar to the way the Varian's alchemy balls trapped Rapunzel and her father in Secret of the Sun Drop and it is similar to the way The Captain of the Guards and the other members of the guards were trapped with goop in The Quest for Varian and it is also similar to the way Rapunzel and Cassandra were trapped with goop when they entered Varian's house and also Maximus were trapped with goop when he sees an apple tree and pick an apple from it in What the Hair?!.
- Varian's chemical balls is the inspiration of Honey Lemon from Big Hero 6 and the first time that chemical balls also shown in What the Hair?! when Rapunzel, Cassandra, Maximus, Fidella and Ruddiger are trapped. The chemical balls reappeared in The Quest for Varian when Rapunzel throws them at the Captain of the Guards and the members of the royal guards. The chemical balls made an appearance when Varian throws them to the ground and escape the castle in The Alchemist Returns. The chemical balls are also in Secret of the Sun Drop after Varian poured his alchemy into the balls to trap Rapunzel and King Frederic.
- Starting at the end of the episode, Rapunzel and Eugene wear brand new signature outfits for the third season.
- Andrew is seen again. He was last seen in Under Raps.
- The way Varian and Lance are worried about Rapunzel in this episode is similar to the way Eugene was worried about Rapunzel in Secret of the Sun Drop.
- The way Rapunzel wants Cassandra to give the Moonstone to Rapunzel herself is similar to the way Rapunzel wants Varian to give her the Sundrop Flower in The Alchemist Returns.
- This is the second time Rapunzel and Eugene wear brand new signature outfits during a new season.
- Rapunzel's reactions to Cassandra's betrayal is applied from the five stages of grief.
- Beginning at the end of this episode, Rapunzel becomes acting Queen of Corona until her parents regain their memories.
- When Varian said You know what I mean! to Rapunzel and her friends in Rapunzel's Return, it is the exact same line that Rapunzel said to Cassandra in Goodbye and Goodwill after Rapunzel went into Cassandra's tent to find ideas for the festival.
- It is revealed after one year Rapunzel and her friends traveled outside of Corona.
- As Varian try to stop Rapunzel singing of the Decay Incantation and free Quirin from the amber share parallels with Cassandra in season two episode Rapunzel and the Great Tree.
- It is also for the first time Varian seen without his gloves.
- Varian mentions the events in Secret of the Sun Drop as part of his misdeeds.
- This is the seventh special, followed by Tangled: Before Ever After, "Queen for a Day", "Secret of the Sun Drop", "Beyond the Corona Walls", "Rapunzel and the Great Tree" and "Destinies Collide".
- Varian dons his bad boy outfit until he and Rapunzel defeat Andrew and the Saporians.
- When Cassandra coldly says I tried to warn you, Rapunzel. "You have to be careful who you trust" in Destinies Collide and also "Your destiny belongs to me" plus Varian coldly says "We can be friends again" when Rapunzel and Pascal are inside a cell in this episode is similar to the way Varian coldly says "There was just one drop left, but it was enough for me to replicate and modify." "I had to be sure the flower was here" and "Sorry, Princess, but I know firsthand how well you keep promises" in The Alchemist Returns. Varian also coldly says "Well... Shall we get started" to Rapunzel after freeing her from goop and he also said She's right, Dad" to a mad King Frederic and Varian coldly said I can't make any promises, Princess before starting the drill also "I will make you proud of me, dad. If it's the last thing I ever do" when he was arrested in Secret of the Sun Drop.
- Quirin is finally released from the amber that imprisoned him for one year by Princess Rapunzel utilizing the part of the decaying incantation she learned on her journey
- Starting at the end of the episode, Rapunzel and Eugene wear brand new signature outfits for the third season.
- The unnamed orange-haired sisters make cameos at the end singing with the rest of the people in Stronger than Ever Before
- The way Varian throws his alchemy on the ground in this episode to make Maximus dizzy is similar to the way he threw his alchemy to the ground in The Alchemist Returns to escape from the guards, Cassandra and Eugene.
- The note that Quirin had written to his son, in "Queen for a Day", is destroyed.
- This is the last episode that Varian is wearing his outfit from the first season.
- When Rapunzel entered Cassandra's vacant bedroom after sneaking into the castle alongside Pascal, Cassandra's line When your dad is Captain of the Guards, you tend to collect...stuff is the same line that she said in Tangled: Before Ever After when she and Rapunzel are sneaking out of the castle before the Coronation.
- The way Varian was locked inside the cell alongside Rapunzel and Pascal after Varian betrayed the Saporians is similar to the way Eugene was locked inside the cell alongside Cassandra after Rapunzel can't stand the argument of Eugene and Cassandra in Cassandra v. Eugene and it is also similar to the way a tyrannical King Frederic told the guards to lock Rapunzel, Eugene and Cassandra inside a cell in Not in the Mood and it is also similar to the way Eugene, Lance and Shorty were locked inside a cell in Beyond the Corona Walls. It is also similar to the way Eugene, Cassandra, Lance, Maximus, Fidella, Hook Foot, Shorty are locked inside a cell but Rapunzel is also locked inside until Constable Lumph freed her and Pascal from the cell in The Eye of Pincosta and it is also similar to the way Eugene and King Frederic are locked inside the cell by a guard In Like Flynn.
- Varian was feeling down when he was locked inside the cell alongside Rapunzel and Pascal in this episode is similar to the way Shorty was feeling down when he was locked inside the cell alongside Eugene, Cassandra, Lance, Hook Foot, Fidella and Maximus in The Eye of Pincosta.
- The way Varian puts his hand on his elbow in this episode when he is feeling remorseful is similar to the way Eugene puts his hand on his elbow in Not in the Mood when he isn't his normal self.
- When Varian is saying that all he ever wanted was to make his father proud in this episode is similar to the way Cassandra said that all she ever wanted was to make her adopted father proud in Secret of the Sun Drop.
- The way Varian tried to stop Rapunzel from singing the Decay Incantation to free Quirin from the amber parallels the way Cassandra tried to stop Rapunzel from singing the Decay Incantation to destroy the tree in Rapunzel and the Great Tree, though while Cassandra had her arm burned and blackened by the evil incantation the only thing that happened to Varian was his gloves melting off.
- When Varian revealed his plan synthesize the Wand of Oblivium's power into to erase everyone's memory, he also said And I named it Quirineon, so no one will ever forget they turned their back on my father but Varian said Everyone turned their back on me. It has to be this way. After he revealed that he gave the people cookies that has truth serum in The Alchemist Returns when Rapunzel noticed Xavier's Mood Potion was in Varian's possession.
- When Shorty is inside the castle, Fidella disappeared.
- When Varian is working on the Quirineon, the chemical balls are gone and when he is inside the cell with Rapunzel and Pascal, the chemical balls are gone. The chemical balls are also gone for a brief moment on the ship before Rapunzel and Varian are fighting against Andrew and the Saporians.
- Kai was imprisoned inside a cell alongside his team, after he was shown to be falling off a cliff.